The Lahore Anti-Terrorism Court has reserved its verdict on the completion of the trial in the Motorway Gang Rape case, which will be announced on March 20.
Anti-terrorism court Judge Arshad Hussain Bhutta will rule on the case on March 20. During the trial, the statements of 40 witnesses were recorded and a three-member special prosecution team recorded the statements of witnesses in jail.
During the trial, the victim also appeared in the jail court, recorded her statement, and identified the accused.
The final statements of the accused were also recorded before the anti-terrorism court and their cross-examination was also completed.
It may be recalled that due to security concerns, the accused were tried in jail while a case was registered against the accused in Gujjarpura police station under other provisions including terrorism.
During the hearing in the anti-terrorism court on March 16, the statements of all the 40 witnesses against the accused were recorded based on solid evidence and today the verdict was reserved by recording the final statement of the accused.
Earlier on March 3, the court had indicted both the main accused Abid Malhi and Shafqat Ali while the accused had pleaded not guilty.
Police had filed a 200-page challan on February 20 after several court respite, in which the accused were found guilty.
Police recorded the statements of 40 witnesses in the challan and the challan said that Abid Malhi and Shafqat Baga had robbed and raped the woman.
The challan said that the accused were identified in the parade jail and their DNA was also matched which matched while both the accused have also confessed their guilt during interrogation.
It may be recalled that on September 9, 2020, a woman was gang-raped by two armed men in the Gujjarpura area on the Lahore-Sialkot Motorway while she was waiting for help with her children after she got stuck on the motorway at around 1 am when her car ran out of petrol.